Successful completion of the course will enable you to seek employment and register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) at practitioner level. Visit the Scottish Social Services Council website for more information about registration requirements.
If you plan to work in a Fife Council Early Years setting you should note that Fife Council requires you to have two stipulated units on curriculum and assessment included in the group award. These will be built into delivery if you are following this path.
What You Study
Topics relevant to working with children and young people, including:
- Child Protection
- Theoretical Approaches to Development and Learning
- Observation of Children & Young People
- Curriculum and Assessment
- Child Development
- Play Opportunities
- Safe Working Practices
In addition you will learn how to become a Reflective Practitioner.
This qualification is achieved through continual assessment.
Duration and Attendance
Flexible Delivery: (to be completed in 6 - 9 months)
You must be employed or working in a voluntary capacity as a practitioner with children and young people or self-employed as a registered childminder, for a minimum of 12 hours per week.
One of the following:
- Two Highers at A-C Grades including English
- SVQ 2 Social Services Children and Young People/CCLD
- NC Early Education and Childcare Group Award
- NQ Education Support Assistance with unit Prevention of Infection
Applicants with other SCQF level 6 qualifications and experience of working in Childcare will be considered on an individual basis.
- SVQ Level 4 Social Services Children and Young People
- HNC Additional Support Needs: Supporting the Individual
- PDA Childhood Practice
This Level 3 SVQ is accepted for registration with the SSSC at practitioner level and will help career enhancement and progression.
You will be required to:
- Attend an interview and undertake a written exercise
- Provide a Personal Statement submitted along with application form
- Provide a reference at interview
- You must also be accepted as a PVG scheme member through the College system. Placements cannot be started without this (see the Disclosure Scotland website for more information about the Protection of Vulnerable Groups).