This course provides comprehensive knowledge of the theory and practice of ultrasonic testing of welds for technicians to reach the Level 2 standard.
PCN syllabus reference no PCN/GEN appendix Z1
What You Study
- Welding technology - processes and defects, basic principles of ultrasonics,
- Nature of sound
- Flaw detector
- Setting the controls
- Behaviour of ultrasonic waves
- Calibration and reference blocks
- Plotting beam profiles
- Flaw location
- Practical exercises e.g. plates, butt welds, techniques
- Report writing.
On completion of the course you should be able to:
- Understand the basic concept of ultrasonics
- Calibrate ultrasonic equipment using calibration blocks
- Measure the thickness of steel plates
- Determine attenuation levels
- Locate and determine size of laminations in steel plates
- Select correct type of probe to examine butt welded joints
- Detect and report the location and size of defects in butt welds
- Interpret code requirements related to ultrasonic testing
- Meet the syllabus requirements for ASNT/PCN level 2
Duration and Attendance
15 days including PCN Exam
This course is delivered at Glenrothes (Stenton Campus).
ASNT examinations may be arranged on the final day of the course.
Price includes exam and levy fees
Suitable For -
This course is suitable for NDT personnel, inspectors, testers and engineers who require a thorough introduction to ultrasonic testing of welded joints.
All delegates wishing to take a PCN examination must have natural or corrected vision satisfying the minimum PCN requirements PSL 44