This course provides basic theory and practical work on test pieces and industrial components, with emphasis on interpretation of defect indications, also comparing sensitivity of the visible and fluorescent methods. Using MPI bench units or portable equipment as required.
Training accredited to ASNT Level 1 and 2 and PCN Level 1 and 2. (PCN syllabus reference No PCN/GEN/92 Appendix E1.2)
What You Study
- Principles of magnetism
- Magnetic fields
- Permeability and reluctance
- Lines of force
- Methods of testing
- Interpretation of indications
- Practical exercises
- Method of assessing sensitivity
- Report writing and safety procedures
The course ends with a written and practical test.
Delegates completing the course will be able to:
- Understand the basic principles of magnetic particle inspection
- Carry out Magnetic Particle Inspection on welds, castings and forgings using a range of magnetising methods
- Write inspection procedures and test reports
- Meet the syllabus requirement for ASNT/PCN Levels 1 and 2
- ASNT Examinations may be arranged on the final day of the course.
PCN Examinations are available on demand after successful completion of an approved training course.
Duration and Attendance
This course is delivered at Glenrothes (Stenton Campus).
Courses in Magnetic Particle Inspection can be taken over 2 days for Level 1 and 3 days for Level 2 if Level I is already held by trainee. These courses will then be costed at £160 per day.
Straight to Level 2 in these techniques will require 5 days training.
For prices, download our schedule.
NDT personnel, inspectors and technicians employed in, or personnel with a responsibility for the inspection of fabrications, castings and forgings during manufacture or in service.
For more information about this course or to book your place, email email@example.com or call 0344 248 0135.