This course will introduce you on to the higher level aspects of Electrical Engineering. You will take part in significant practical activities which are underpinned by a strong theoretical content that will guide you towards a career in Electrical Engineering. The academic level of this course is the same as Year 1 at university.
What You Study
- Single Phase AC Circuits
- Electrical Machine Principles
- Three Phase Systems
- Electricity Power Systems
- Electrical Networks
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Electrical Testing
- IT Communications
- Transmission Lines
- Electrical Motor Drive Systems
- Electrical Installation design
- Graded Unit
Duration and Attendance
- One Year Full-time - this can be done at either our Rosyth or Stenton Campuses. If you would like to study at Stenton, you should apply for the HND Year 1 Electrical which is the equivalent of an HNC Electrical Course
- Two Years Day Release
- Infill by arrangement
- Open Learning
One of the following:
- One Higher at Level C or above in Physics, Chemistry or
- Technological Studies plus Higher Maths at Level B or above
- NC Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- NQ Electrical Engineering
- City & Guilds 2339-44 Certificate Wind Turbine Technician
- Another relevant NQ at SCQF Level 6 (incorporating
- Maths Tech 1 and 2) accompanied by a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level
- Industrial experience and/or other qualifications will also be considered
Progression to Year 2 of the HND Electrical course is automatic if you achieve a minimum of 12 credits from Year 1.
Fife College has defined Articulation Routes in place for this course.
You could enter a career as an Engineer in the Electrical Engineering field, particularly Generation, Distribution, Research, Manufacture, Renewable Energy and other emerging Technologies.
Scientific calculator, scaled rule and protractor.
You will be required to attend an interview.