NEBOSH in collaboration with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have produced this qualification to ensure candidates are able to carry out a solo accident investigation for noncomplex accidents. Including the gathering and analysis of evidence, production of an action plan and contribute to team investigations for large-scale incidents.
On completion of this qualification you will be equipped with the necessary skills to carry out an unaided incident investigation of a noncomplex incident. The qualification will take you through the four steps to a good incident investigation. This includes providing you with the skills required to identify the immediate, underlying and root causes of incidents.
Witness interviewing is a valuable skill for an incident investigator. The qualification, therefore, introduces you to the PEACE model for interviewing.
The knowledge, understanding and skills that you will gain from this qualification will also allow you to contribute to team investigations of larger-scale incidents.
This qualification is delivered over one day. Candidates are required to undertake three hours of pre-course reading before your course commences. Some suggestions for this pre-course reading include:
- reading and understanding the requirements of your organisation’s incident investigation policy;
- reviewing a sample of your organisation’s previous incident investigation reports to find what lessons have been learnt; and
- reviewing some of the incident investigation case studies from the HSE’s website that may be relevant to your organisation (www.hse.gov.uk/slips/casestudies.htm)
This qualification is aimed at managers, supervisors, SHE Champions, union representatives and aspiring health and safety practitioners. It would not be suitable for current health and safety practitioners.
The course is assessed by candidates observing and commenting on three interviews, reviewing the information from the interviews and a provided information pack and producing an action plan.
Candidates will learn the skills of structured analysis and effective questioning of witnesses.
Duration and attendance
- One day with three hours of pre-course reading
What you study
- Candidates will learn how to carry out an accident investigation for a non-complex accident or incident
- Those tasked with investigating minor workplace accidents
- Familiarity with basic health and safety concepts such as hazard and risk and an understanding of the principles of risk assessment
- Command of English equivalent to an International English Language Testing System score of 5.0 or higher in IELTS tests
- NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
- Advantageous for those seeking a role where they will be managing people or aspire to manage health and safety within an organisation