You will gain knowledge of the challenges and current thinking in business and, in particular, the challenges of decision making and of managing people effectively in organisations. You will develop your skills in managing your own performance and that of others. You will study, among other subjects, human resource management, economics, strategy and management, marketing, and finance.
What You Study
- Managing people and organisations
- Economics: an introduction
- Marketing: an introduction
- Business accounting
- ICT in business: spreadsheets
- Information technology: applications software
- Business: graded unit 1
Duration and Attendance
One year full-time
Two years part-time (Saturday mornings)
One of the following:
- Two Highers in a relevant subject and either four National 5s or four Standard Grades
- NC Business at SCQF Level 5, including a minimum of two units at Level 6
- Industrial experience or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
Successful completion of HNC Business allows direct progression to year 2 of HND Business. It also allows direct articulation into year 2 of degree programmes at many universities.
Recent graduates of HNC Business have gained employment in both public and private sector organisations in a range of business functions such as human resource manager, banking, administrator and retail.
An interview may be required to evidence your ability to study at this level.