MSP® represents proven good practice in programme management, by way of successful delivery of transformational change through the application of programme management. MSP defines programme management as:
“The action of carrying out the co-ordinated organisation, direction and implementation of a dossier of projects and transformational activities to achieve outcomes and realise benefits of strategic importance to the business.”
MSP has been used and adopted by many organisations, within both public and private sectors. The experiences of those who have adopted programme management have provided invaluable inputs into the latest edition of the guide, which was published in 2007. Today’s organisations exist in a climate of constant and increasing change.
Organisations that have learned how to transform themselves through effective leadership and strategic control are more likely to survive and prosper.
Programme management is increasingly recognised as key in enabling organisations to manage that transformation.
Where there is major change, there will be complexity, risk, many interdependencies to manage, and conflicting priorities to resolve. Adopting a programme management approach such as MSP® provides a structured framework that can help organisations avoid these pitfalls and achieve their goals.
What You Study
MSP® is a classroom-based course, delivered over 5 days, covering the MSP® framework which is based on 3 core concepts:
- MSP® Principles. These are derived from positive and negative lessons learned from programme experiences. They are the common factors that underpin the success of any transformational change.
- MSP® Governance Themes. These define an organisation’s approach to programme management. They allow an organisation to put in place the right leadership, delivery team, organisational structures and controls, giving the best chance for success.
- MSP® Transformational Flow. This provides a route through the lifecycle of a programme, from its conception through to the delivery of the new capability, outcomes and benefits.
The course covers the following aspects of programme management:
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits realisation management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Quality management
- Risk management
- Issue resolution
Duration and Attendance
This is a 5-day course, including the Foundation and Practitioner examinations. Content is delivered over 4 days, with the Practitioner examination on the final day. There are 2 examinations on the course, the Foundation and the Practitioner.
- A multiple-choice paper containing 75 questions to be answered in 60 minutes.
- This is a closed-book examination.
Practitioner: This is an objective marking style, open book paper.
- The paper consists of 8 questions with a total of 80 marks available to be completed within 2½ hours.
- Candidates need to achieve a mark of 40+ to pass the paper.
A third level, Advanced Practitioner is also available as a separate course.
MSP® programme management training is an intensive but rewarding course, requiring delegates to complete 15-20 hours of study prior to the start of the course. The main course content is also supported by some evening work during the programme.
Scheduled open courses run on a regular basis at our purpose built training facility, Carnegie Conference Centre, in Dunfermline with on-site hotel accommodation available if required.
In addition, closed courses tailored specifically for teams, can be delivered on-site at client premises throughout the UK or at Carnegie Conference Centre.
- Foundation – £895 (ex VAT)
- Practitioner – £1,365 (ex VAT)
- Foundation to Practitioner Conversion - £495 (ex VAT)
On-site hotel accommodation is available for courses which take place at Carnegie Conference Centre, Dunfermline and offers modern, comfortable rooms with a work desk and high speed internet
There are no specific entry requirements, however, the course would be suitable for:
Any organisation or individual seeing the need for a controlled approach to managing its programmes and/or multiple projects including:
- Senior Responsible Owners
- Programme Support Team Members
- Programme Managers
- Senior Managers
- Project Managers
- Business Change Managers
- Project Manager
- Programme Manager
- Portfolio Manager
- MSP® Advanced Practitioner
- The Diploma in Programme and Project Management (jointly accredited by the APM Group and the CMI)
MSP® is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.