Previously called HNC: Social Care, this course is designed to meet the registration requirements to work in social care settings and is aimed at those who have some experience in working in care in either a paid or voluntary capacity.
This is a 12 credit award with most of the units applied to work experience and placements. If you are a full-time student, placements will be arranged by the College to ensure that you can be supported in the application of theory and gain experience to evidence competency in the three work-based SVQ units integral to the course.
This course meets the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) requirements for registration for a variety of posts in health and social care sector. For those working in or considering a career in residential child care this, plus five other SVQ units, meets requirements (due to change soon).
- Care in contemporary society
- Lifespan development
- Care practice
- Health and wellbeing
- Graded unit
- Three SVQ units at SCQF Level 7
- Optional units
- One year full-time
One of the following:
- Two Highers at Level C or above
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Social Services and Healthcare SCQF Level 6 plus Higher English at Level A or B
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Children and Young People SCQF Level 6 plus Higher English at Level A or B
- A qualification at SCQF Level 6 in a related subject such as Social/Health Care, Humanities, or Social Sciences
- Evidence of some work /experience in the care sector
- Evidence that you can meet the academic requirements of SCQF Level 7 with the submission of a written piece at interview if you do not meet any of the above and are looking for a change of career
- Most placements have a minimum age requirement of 18 years.
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- HND: Additional Support Needs: Managing and Supporting the Services SCQF Level 8
- Fife College has defined articulation routes in place for this course
- Year two entry to BSc (Hons) Public Policy Sociology at Queen Margaret University Edinburgh (graded unit at B)
- Social work degrees at university (some universities will also ask for an English, ICT and/or Numeracy or Maths qualification)
- SVQ: Social Services and Healthcare SCQF Level 8 (while working)
- May also be accepted for mental health nursing and midwifery
- Degrees in community learning and development
- Degrees in social sciences
- Care related services, for example residential schools, day-care facilities for the older adult and resource centres for adults with physical disabilities or learning difficulties
- Care home practitioner
- Housing support worker
- Various job roles in mental health, homelessness, and looked-after children
- There will be a required interview even if you don't meet the entry requirements
- You will also require a PVG check through Disclosure Scotland
- There is a large commitment of time to a work placement
- Most placements have a minimum age requirement of 18 years