This course, approved by the Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB), aims to provide novice truck operators with the practical skills for the safe and efficient operation of a counterbalanced operated forklift truck.
Qualification: Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB)
On completing the course you will be able to:
- Operate a forklift truck safely
- Give due care and attention to the load being handled
- Give due care to personnel and equipment in the vicinity
The training follows a carefully devised programme to ensure that each stage is presented in a logical sequence.
Both job specific and familiarisation training should be given to successful candidates at the workplace. Once completed the candidate should be given written authorisation from the employer for the types of machine which all three elements of training have been given.
The following areas are covered:
- Health and safety
- Controls and instruments
- Basic manoeuvres
- Lift truck stability
- Hydraulic system and controls
- Load weight assessment
- Vehicle loading and unloading
- Working in racking
- Training is undertaken within an excellent simulated working environment
- The course length is 30 hours delivered over four or five days as required
- There are both written and practical tests to conclude the course
- Delivered at Rosyth Campus or customer premises where appropriate
- If undertaken on customer premises a suitable machine, loads and suitable enclosed area will be required for the sole use of the training
- PPE requirement for a hi-viz jacket or waistcoat and safety footwear/boots