The aim of this course is to enable candidates who have experience on Counterbalance Lift Trucks to transfer their skills to operate a Reach Truck. The course follows a carefully devised programme and is designed for those with proficient experience to build on their basic skills.
As the course is delivered in the workplace familiarisation, job specific training can be carried out along side basic training and is aimed at operators who are required to operate Reach Trucks.
Once completed the candidate should be given written authorisation from the employer for the types of machine which all 3 elements of training have been given.
The course is approved by the Road Transport Industry Training Board (RTITB). Training is undertaken within the working environment. The course length is 20 hours delivered over 2/3 days as required. There are both written and practical tests to conclude the course.
The course covers the following:
- Health and Safety
- Controls and Instruments
- Basic Manoeuvres
- Hydraulic System and Controls
- Pick-up and setting-down loads
- Associated knowledge assessment
- Practical skills assessment
- Short course
- Customer Premises a suitable area, machine and loads should be supplied for the sole use of the training
- Candidates are required to provide satisfactory evidence of existing qualification or skills
- Once this course is completed students may undertake further training in operating various other types of mobile plant equipment
- Opportunities exist in the Retail and Distribution Industry for successful students to gain employment as a Reach Truck Operator