This course meets the Scottish Manual Handling Passport Scheme (SMHPS) standards and is designed to provide the knowledge and skills for moving and assisting people of varying abilities.
This course will reinforce up to date guidance, best practice, and safer principles for moving and assisting people.
- Module A – manual handling theory (distance learning)
- Module B – manual handling of inanimate loads
- Module C – chair manoeuvres
- Module D – bed manoeuvres
- Module E – hoisting
Additional Optional Module:
- Moving and handling small children
On completion of this course, you will have the skills needed for:
- Recognising hazards and risks associated with their manual handling activities
- Safely assisting clients with a variety of moving and handling needs in the care environment
- The safe application of manual handling principles and techniques and safe use of a variety of commonly used pieces of equipment to ensure comfort, and safety of client and carer
Fife College works in partnership with Fife Council. Our trainers are trained to the same standards of training used by Fife Council, as well as sharing of training materials and resources.
- The course (Modules B-E) runs over two days
- Time: 9.30am-4.30pm
- The course is delivered at Levenmouth Campus
- This course is suitable for anyone working in the care sector, NHS or who needs to have a basic understanding of moving and handling at work
- You must be fit and healthy enough to participate in the moving and handling techniques
- Prior to attending the practical modules, you must complete manual handling theory which is accessed via online learning