From June 2016, following a successful pilot and final ministerial sign off, anyone who wants to become a MOT Tester or an Authorised Examiner/ Designated Manager will need to achieve a qualification to apply for their licence.

The new scheme is now live and if you wish to become an MOT Tester you will need to achieve the new MOT Qualification. The NTT course will no longer be available at the DVSA from June 2016.

Provided you meet the entry requirements, this qualification gives you the required access to training and certification to become an MOT tester.

The course will cover theory and practical training on being an MOT tester:

  • safe working practices in the vehicle test centre
  • working relationships within the vehicle test centre
  • managing your own professional development as an MOT tester
  • carrying out pre-test checks for an MOT test
  • carrying out an MOT test

The course includes the following assessments:

  • a multiple-choice / question test
  • a practical assessment

You have to pass both to successfully complete the course.

To become an MOT Tester, you will then need to achieve the MOT Qualification (which will be a minimum of 24 hours with at least 8 hours practical) for each vehicle class that you want to test.

You will then need to complete a VT8 (Demonstration Test) which will be observed by DVSA. This can now be achieved at your Vehicle Testing Station or at a training provider centre such as Fife College.

Once you have achieved both the MOT Qualification and the VT8, you will then be able to carry out MOTs at a Vehicle Testing Station.

Note: All existing MOT Testers will be exempt from the new qualification, unless they are subject to a disciplinary request from DVSA when they may need to achieve the MOT Tester Qualification as part of the necessary actions to reinstate their MOT Tester status.

  • Course duration is five days, including assessment delivered over three weeks at Glenrothes Campus
  • Contact us for upcoming dates

When you apply for the MOT testers qualification course through Fife College, you will need to show that you meet the qualifying criteria to become a Tester (as before), which includes:

  • have a current and full UK driving licence for the vehicle classes you want to test
  • be a skilled mechanic with at least 4 years’ full-time employment servicing and repairing the types of vehicles you’re going to test
  • have no unspent convictions for criminal offences connected with MOT testing or the motor trade, or involving acts of violence or intimidation
  • be ‘of good repute’ - the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency will decide this to make sure you’re suitable to be an MOT tester
  • Qualifications or accreditations you need

You must have an accepted qualification or accreditation if you want to test class 3, 4, 5 or 7 vehicles (cars, private buses and light commercial vehicles).

These qualifications and accreditations are accepted.

National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs), Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) and Vocationally Related Qualifications (VRQs)

You can take the MOT testing course if you have a VRQ, NVQ or SVQ in:

  • Vehicle Mechanical and Electronic Systems, Maintenance and Repair (light vehicle or heavy vehicle), level 3
  • Vehicle Technician, Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (light vehicle or heavy vehicle), level 3
  • City and Guilds

You can take the MOT testing course if you have a City and Guilds qualification in:

  • Automotive Qualification, NVQ level 3
  • Repair and Servicing of Road Vehicles, 383 (full level 2 or 3)
  • Motor Vehicle Craft Studies, modular - part 3 (requires 3 modules)
  • Motor Vehicle Craft Studies, 381 (full part 2 or 3)
  • Motor Vehicle Craft Studies, pre 381 syllabus (full part 2)
  • Light or Heavy Vehicle Mechanics Craft Studies (full part 2 or 3)
  • Motor Vehicle Technician’s Certificate (full part 1)
  • Other qualifications

You can also take the MOT testing course if you have one of these qualifications:

  • IMI level 3 National Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair (light vehicle or heavy vehicle)
  • National Craft Certification with a specialism of Vehicle Maintenance and Electronic Systems
  • Business and Technology Education Council (BTEC), National Certificate or Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) in Motor Vehicle Engineering studies
  • Scottish Vocational Educational Council National Certificate in Vehicle Mechanics and Systems (part 3)
  • Equivalent qualifications may also be accepted. Check with an MOT course provider if your qualification will be accepted

You can take the MOT testing course if you have an Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) Accreditation or Automotive Technician Accreditation (ATA) in:

  • Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician
  • Light Vehicle Inspection Technician
  • You must also have a valid IMI or ATA accreditation ID card. You’ll have received this when you got your qualification.

If you do not hold any of the above then we offer the Level 3 Vehicle Inspection (ATA) course, please contact us for more information.

  • MOT Test Centre Manager
  • MOT Tester Annual CPD
  • MOT Tester in the Motor Industry
  • £875 Per Person
  • Group discounts considered - contact us to discuss your requirements
  • (Maximum 6 per class)