This course combines college learning with work-based training and site experience. The construction industry in Scotland desperately needs new people and this is an ideal opportunity to learn skills that will be in demand long into the future. Achieving your Modern Apprenticeship will open up opportunities for you to travel the UK and further afield, and one day perhaps, to start your own business.
This is a 4-year Modern Apprenticeship programme, broken down as follows;
- Year 1 – Block release, totalling 20 weeks in college with the remaining time work-based with the employer
- Year 2 – Block release, totalling 13 weeks in college with the remaining time work-based with the employer
- Year 3 – All work-based with exception of 1 week at college for refresher training
- Year 4 – All work-based with exception of 1 week at college to complete the requisite Skills Test
- SQA PDA in Roofing at SCQF Level 6
In the workplace
- SQA SVQ in Roofing Occupations (Construction) at SCQF Level 6
- There are no mandatory qualification requirements prior to commencing the Modern Apprenticeship. However, fairing well in traditional qualifications such as Standard Grades, Nat 4's, Nat 5's and Highers would improve a candidate’s prospects of success, as would any prior vocational work experience in a related role.
- There are a number of different qualifications you could choose to enhance your knowledge of the construction sector and progress to a management or civil engineering role, including HNCs in Construction Management, Estimating and Quantity Surveying.
- Construction Management
- Quantity Surveying
- To enrol on a Modern Apprenticeship in Roofing you must be in full time employment in a job where you’ll have regular opportunities to practice the skills necessary to become a qualified Roofer.