Successful completion of the course will enable you to seek employment and register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) at practitioner level. Visit the Scottish Social Services Council website for more information about registration requirements.
If you plan to work in a Fife Council Early Years setting you should note that Fife Council requires you to have two stipulated curriculum and assessment units included in the group award. These will be built into delivery if you are following this path.
Topics relevant to working with children and young people, including:
- Child development
- Theoretical approaches to development and learning
- Providing and supporting play opportunities
- Legislation and safe working practice
- Child protection and safeguarding
- Observation of children and young people
- Curriculum and assessment
In addition, you will learn how to become a Reflective Practitioner. This qualification is achieved through continual work based assessment.
- Flexible delivery (to be completed in nine - 12 months)
- You should ideally be employed as a practitioner with children and young people or self-employed as a registered childminder, for a minimum of 12 hours per week
One of the following:
- You must be currently employed in an early learning and childcare setting and have the support of your manager
- SVQ: Social Services Children and Young People/CCLD SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Early Education and Childcare Group Award
- Professional Development Award: Education Support Assistance SCQF Level 6
- Other SCQF level 6 qualifications and experience of working in childcare will be considered on an individual basis
In addition, internal applicants will also require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR).
- SVQ: Social Services Children and Young People SCQF Level 9
- HNC: Additional Support Needs: Supporting the Individual SCQF Level 7
- This SVQ is accepted for registration with the SSSC at practitioner level and will help career enhancement and progression
You will be required to:
- Attend an interview and undertake a written exercise
- Provide a personal statement submitted along with application form
- Provide a reference at interview
- You will also require a PVG check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on the placement(s) as part of this course (visit disclosurescotland.co.uk for more information). If you are concerned about any information that may affect your PVG, you can contact our Guidance team to discuss this before submitting your application